Second Redemption, Glass Ceilings, and Global Populism
Past Present Episode 59
In this week’s special election episode, Niki, Neil, and Natalia debate the onset of the Second Redemption, the highest and hardest glass ceiling, and the place of Donald Trump in global populism.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- We debated Jamelle Bouie’s argument that the 2016 election should be seen as a Second Redemption. Niki also recommended Michelle Alexander’s book The New Jim Crow.
- Why did Donald Trump receive support from 53 percent of white women? Natalia pointed to the works of Stephanie Coontz and Rebecca Traister to help explain. Natalia also recently documented 100 years of feminist history through the quotations of thirty women for the website Refinery 29.
- Trump’s victory should be seen in the context of a populist movement sweeping across the globe. Niki recommended John Judis’ recent book The Populist Explosion for better understanding this phenomenon.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia talked about different responses to the 2016 election and recommended Laurie Penny’s article, “Life Hacks of the Poor and Aimless.”
- Neil read from Abraham Lincoln’s First Inaugural Address.
- Niki commented on the upcoming 100th anniversary of the American Civil Liberties Union.