Wiretapping, Wellness Real Estate, and Late-Night TV
Past Present Episode 74
In this week’s episode, Niki, Natalia, and Neil debate Trump’s wiretapping allegations, “wellness real estate,” and late-night TV.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- Donald Trump has accused President Obama of wiretapping Trump Tower during the election. We discussed the history of wiretapping, including the story of Richard Nixon and Anna Chennault.
- The Atlantic reported on the rise of “wellness real estate.” Niki mentioned David Brooks’ classic skewering of the affluent, Bobos in Paradise. Natalia recommended Jeffrey Kripal’s book on the history of Esalen.
- David Letterman sat down for a must-read interview with New York Magazine. We chatted about Letterman and the end of the late-night TV wars.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia commented on the twentieth anniversary of the death of Biggie Smalls.
- Neil discussed Carvel’s Fudgie the Whale ice cream cake.
- Niki talked about the reemergence of Charles Murray and scientific racism.