Notre Dame Cathedral, Rep. Ilhan Omar, and the Center for American Progress
Past Present Episode 176
In this episode, Niki, Natalia, and Neil discuss the fire at Paris’ Notre Dame cathedral, President Trump’s attacks against Representative Ilhan Omar (D-MN), and the history of liberal think tanks.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- The world watched as Paris’ iconic Notre Dame Cathedral was engulfed in flames last week. Natalia recommended this Atlantic article that highlights the tension between the French tradition of laïcité and Notre Dame’s status as a national icon.
- Sparked in part by President Trump’s incendiary remarks, Congresswoman Ilhan Omar has become the target of vicious attacks. Niki cited this New Yorker profile about Omar’s popularity among her constituents.
- A Center for American Progress video criticizing Bernie Sanders for downplaying his substantial wealth is raising questions about the biases of the liberal think tank.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia shared about her recent visit to the Wolfsonian Institute at Florida International University.
- Neil discussed the new Netflix series, “Special.”
- Niki recommended the Hulu series, “Shrill.”