LIVE! The Stonewall Uprising, Jazzercise, and C-SPAN
Past Present Episode 183
In this episode, Neil, Niki, and Natalia discuss the significance of the Stonewall Uprising, the legacy of Jazzercise, and the fortieth anniversary of C-SPAN.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- Fifty years ago this month, the Stonewall Uprising took place. Neil discussed the issues historians have raised with the treatment of Stonewall in popular culture.
- Jazzercise turns 50 this year.
- C-SPAN is 40, and beloved by many. Natalia cited Niki’s article at NBC about the virtues of the channel, while Neil referred to David Graham’s Atlantic article about its mixed legacy.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia discussed the criticism New York City mayor Bill De Blasio endures for his exercise habits.
- Neil recommended the new HBO show, “Chernobyl.”
- Niki reflected on historian Lauren MacIvor Thompson’s viral tweetstorm in response to Cokie Roberts’ misinformed comments about abortion in the nineteenth century.