Baltimore, Marianne Williamson, and a National Service Requirement
Past Present Episode 191
In this episode, Niki, Neil, and Natalia discuss President Trump’s insults to Baltimore, the presidential candidacy of self-help guru Marianne Williamson, and a proposal for a national service requirement.
Here are some links and references mentioned during this week’s show:
- Last week, President Trump unleashed a barrage of insults against Baltimore and its member of Congress, Elijah Cummings. Natalia referred to this POLITICO article about how New York City gave us Trump. Niki referred to journalist Jonathan Weisman’s tweets about the “real” nature of regions.
- Self-help guru Marianne Williamson is running for president. Niki referred to the history of the Esalen Institute.
- At least two Democratic candidates, Pete Buttigieg and John Delaney, have made national service a component of their platforms. Natalia cited this Jacobin article that criticized the idea.
In our regular closing feature, What’s Making History:
- Natalia discussed this photo shoot of Bernie Sanders and Cardi B in a nail salon.
- Neil shared Alexander B. Joy’s Atlantic article, “Candy Land Was Invented for Polio Wards.”
- Niki reflected on conservative commentator Erick Erickson’s comments about Pete Buttigieg. In response, Neil recommended Andrew Kirell’s Daily Beast article, “Does Anyone Take Erick Erickson Seriously?”